After consultation with the Mecklenburg County Health Department, the University has made changes to its COVID-19 quarantine recommendations in accordance with recent updates from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The changes are effective immediately.
10-day quarantine guidance
It is still recommended that all faculty, staff and students continue to quarantine for 14 days from the date of exposure, providing maximum protection against spreading the virus in the community.
However, members of the UNC Charlotte community who wish to return to campus have the option to end their quarantine after 10 days provided both of the following conditions are met:
- Individuals are asymptomatic and have not experienced any COVID-related symptoms during their quarantine period AND
- A negative PCR test is received based on a sample taken at the on-campus COVID testing clinic no earlier than day 9 after the individual’s last exposure to the COVID-19-positive person.
- Know the risk: Individuals who qualify to end their quarantine after 10 days are still at risk for developing and spreading COVID. The following precautions should be strictly followed through the end of the 14-day quarantine period:
- Symptoms should be closely monitored, and individuals should continue to complete the daily Niner Health Check. Students and employees should NOT come to campus and/or work if symptomatic.
- A face covering should be worn at all times in public settings and when indoors on campus.
- Physical distancing from others should be maintained.