Week of Welcome (WOW) is an annual tradition that helps the University kick off the academic year with opportunities for social engagement and campus involvement. More than 40 events will take place between Friday, Aug. 18, and Sunday, Aug. 27.
WOW Welcomes new and returning students to campus and helps them transition academically and socially through events, departmental showcases, and involvement opportunities, said Emily Wheeler, associate director for new student and family services in the Division for Student Affairs.
The celebration begins Aug. 18 with the CABchella Union Takeover at 7 p.m. showcasing music, food and art in the Student Union, sponsored by the Campus Activities Board. Weekend festivities continue with the WOW Annual Block Party, 49er New Year and Kick-off Concert featuring American singer/songwriter Jazmine Sullivan, and the annual recreation festival, RecFest.
Key events include:
- Union Takeover: CABchella - Aug. 18, Student Union, 7 p.m.
- WOW Annual Block Party - Aug. 19, Student Union Back Patio, 8 p.m.
- RecFest – Aug. 20, Northeast Recreational Field Complex, 2 p.m.
- 49er New Year & Kick-off Concert feat. Jazmine Sullivan – Aug. 20, Student Activity Center and West Quad, 5 p.m.
- New Student Convocation – Aug. 21, Academic Colleges and Halton Arena, all day
- Student Organizations Showcase – Aug. 21, CHHS/COED Plaza, 3:30 p.m.
- Group Fitness Sampler – Aug. 21, Belk Gym Basketball Courts, 5:30 p.m.
- WOW Niner Nation Pep Rally – Aug. 22, Jerry Richardson Stadium, 9 p.m.
- Career Carnival – Aug. 23, Student Activity Center, 11 a.m.
- Throwback Karaoke – Aug. 23, Norm’s Lounge, Popp Martin Student Union, 7 p.m.
- Help! I want to go Greek! – Aug. 23, Popp Martin Student Union 340 ABC, 9 p.m.
- WOW Comedy Show, featuring Wild ‘N Out – Aug. 24, Popp Martin Student Union Multipurpose Room, 7 p.m.
- WOW Movie Night at the Stadium: “Guardians of the Galaxy 2,” Aug. 25, Jerry Richardson Stadium, 9 p.m.
- NPHC Yard Show – Aug. 27, Star Quad, 3 p.m.
Faculty and staff members are invited to participate in Week of Welcome activities and to engage with students at these events.
For more information, visit the WOW website.