Hey, Alexa: Improve human conversations
Using the University’s high-performance computing resources, assistant professor Samira Shaikh and her team work to improve human conversations with voice assistants like Alexa and to promote ethical dialogue on social media.
- Ventureprise Launch NSF I-Corps is for UNC Charlotte faculty, students and staff to explore the commercial possibilities of their ideas and research. Apply for this six-week program, which provides University innovators with commercialization advice, training and funding to identify potential customers.
- Don't forget to fill out the COVID-19 vaccine reporting form once you receive your vaccine. Once submitted, you will be entered to win prizes, including your choice of a free parking permit for the upcoming academic year or $500 on your 49er ID card! You will also be exempt from the daily health check and mitigation testing.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: FACULTY & STAFF
- As the fiscal year is winding down, please review the fiscal year 2021 spending cutoff deadlines and other year-end reminders.
- Attend “Using Cognitive Empathy in the Classroom.” This workshop, scheduled for Thursday, May 20, counts toward the Essentials of Teaching and Learning Certificate.
- Please join the Office of Legal Affairs for a refresher on how UNC Charlotte faculty and staff and the institution may engage in political activities.
YOUR DAILY NEED TO KNOW: STUDENTS
- The University Center for Academic Excellence is offering free tutoring to newly admitted and returning undergraduate students interested in getting a refresher on a past course or a head start for fall 2021 classes. Tutoring for students enrolled in summer classes is available, too.
- Student Niner Media is offering a paid summer position for an account executive. This position is 10 hours per week for eight weeks and hours are set around student schedules. Contact Megan Reid at email@example.com.
OUR POINTS OF PRIDE
- Chancellor, alumni and Board of Trustees member make the 2021 Power List: Business North Carolina recently published its inaugural Power List of the state's most influential leaders. In addition to Chancellor Sharon L. Gaber, 10 alumni and a Board of Trustees member were honored.
- 5/20: Join a balletone group fitness class, a fusion-style conditioning program of nonstop cardio and strength that blends techniques drawn from dance, pilates and fitness. Balletone is like dancing for the non-dancer! Registrations no longer required. First-come, first-served with limited capacity in the studios.
- 5/25: QPR stands for question, persuade and refer, and people trained in QPR learn to recognize the warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to question, persuade and refer someone to help.
- 5/25: Regardless of the reason you use Google Sheets, these best practices will help you organize your spreadsheets better and reduce mistakes. Join this virtual class to learn ways to better analyze your data.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
What would you like to see included in this daily email? Complete this form with your feedback. We want to hear from you!